Monday, June 14, 2010

Ambassador Profile: Amye Hoerner - Social Security Administration

I am a University of Washington political science major from Bremerton, WA. I have been interning for the SSA since December 2009. I started out in the volunteer intern program and received 15 credits from POLS 496. I am now a paid intern and accumulating leave for every pay period. I love the benefits of working for Social Security.

Outside of work I enjoy traveling, snowboarding, and running. I want to get my Masters in Public Administration and perhaps a J.D.

I started at Social Security with an average GPA, little work experience, and no clue about my future. They promised me a valuable experience to put on my resume. However, this internship has turned out to be more than just an application booster. My supervisor is now my mentor. He has provided me with the best resources and advice. I’ve started networking within Social Security and now have no doubt in my mind that I would love to end up here someday.

Amye Hoerner is a new ambassador joining us this summer and into the next school year. If you have any questions about working for the Social Security Administration, feel free to email amyerae at uw dot edu.