Monday, May 4, 2009

From Seattle to DC and Back (Part 9)

As the week went by I was quite hurried as I still had to finish my informational interview which I did Thursday morning in Virginia before heading up to New York at noon. I interview a Foreign Commercial Service Officer doing their domestic tour at the Northern Virginia U.S. Export Assistance Center (USEAC). This interview was very informative in further clarifying the role of a Foreign Service Officer in the commercial service. Related to USEAC; I will be interning this summer at the Seattle USEAC. With this coming internship I hope to get a better picture of the Seattle export environment and build my network of contacts in the Seattle area.

Finally on Monday we went to the National Committee on US-China Relations in New York. This was great as I spent the weekend in New York and saw many sites. The meeting was very relaxed with the president of NCUSCR having us ask him questions directly to start out with. This format was different but I think it allowed a more in depth conversation.

Nathan Gardner
Boeing Fellow
International Trade Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce